There are a number of documents that may be needed to settle your loved one’s estate. Once you locate these important papers, make sure and put them together in a safe place. Here is a list of documents you may need:
- Last Will and Testament or any other estate planning documents
- Safe deposit rental agreement and keys
- Passwords for computers and online accounts
- Living trust agreements
- Life insurance, health/accident and sickness insurance policies
- Financial statements, including those pertaining to bank accounts, pensions, individual retirement accounts (IRAs), certificates of deposit, stocks and bond certificates
- Income tax returns for the past three years
- Birth and death certificates
- Deeds, deeds of trust, mortgages and mortgage releases, title policies, motor vehicle titles, lease statements for auto or real estate rentals
- Military records and discharge papers
- Unpaid bills and notes
- Bankruptcy filings and releases
- Nuptial agreements, marriage license, divorce papers
A qualified probate lawyer can be a great asset to help you make sure that you are handling the estate correctly as well as assist you with any legal matters. If you haven’t already contacted your loved one’s attorney or hired one on your own, you should do so soon.
For more information, request our free book, What to do When a Loved One Dies.
Do You Need To Speak With An Experienced Probate Lawyer In The Dallas Area?
If you need to speak to an experienced probate lawyer please contact us online or call our Dallas office directly at 214.559.7202. We help clients throughout the Dallas area with all of their probate needs and look forward to helping you.