Statutes of limitations are laws that set time limits on how long you have to file a lawsuit or how long the state has to prosecute someone for committing a crime. These time limits depend on the legal claim or crime involved in the case, and they're different from state to state.
- The time period begins on the date your claim arises or occurs.
- Once the statute of limitations has expired, you likely will be unable to successfully pursue a lawsuit regardless of the merits of your claim.
Here is a list of a few statutes of limitations in Texas:
- Contract: 4 years
- Fraud: 4 years
- Legal Malpractice: 2 years
- Medical Malpractice: 2 years (but before 10 years from the date of the act or omission)
- Personal Injury: 2 years
- Product Liability: 2 years (but before 15 years after date of the sale)
- Property Damage: 2 years
- Slander: 1 year
- Trespass: 2 years
- Wrongful Death: 2 years
Be aware the laws are subject to change at any time. You are able to check the most current Texas laws here.
Do You Need To Speak With An Experienced Personal Injury Lawyer In The Dallas Area?
If you've been injured due to negligence you need to speak to an exerienced Dallas personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. Please contact us online or call our Dallas office directly at 214.559.7202. We help clients throughout the Dallas area with all of their personal injury needs and look forward to helping you.