When it comes to divorce, people seem to have a lot of misconceptions.
The 6 Most Common Divorce Myths
1. Myth: I will easily get more than 50 percent of the marital property in my divorce.
Fact: You will not automatically receive half of the marital property, as there are many factors that are taken into consideration when splitting assets.
2. Myth: My spouse will have to pay for our children’s college.
Fact: Your spouse is not necessarily obligated to pay such expenses as your children’s tuition. It is an issue that would need to be discussed with an attorney.
3. Myth: I purchased property in my name only during the marriage; therefore that property solely belongs to me.
Fact: Just because you acquired property in your name, doesn’t mean that it is off limits from your spouse.
4. Myth: We were married over 10 years, so I should receive spousal support (a.k.a. alimony) for the rest of my life.
Fact: There are many things that are considered before awarding spousal support and it is generally only granted for a short period of time.
5. Myth: I will get a much better deal if I let the judge decide.
Fact: A judge is going to split the property based on what is considered just and fair, but that doesn’t mean you will think it’s just and fair!
6. Myth: My spouse cheated on me, so I should get everything I want in the divorce.
Fact: While the unfaithfulness of a spouse will be taken into consideration, it doesn’t mean that you will get everything.
Are You In Need Of An Experienced Divorce Lawyer In The Dallas, Texas Area?
If you need a caring, experienced divorce attorney please contact us online or call our Dallas office directly at 214.559.7202 to schedule a consultation.