Posted on Mar 22, 2018

Most people are familiar with the story of a father being ordered to pay child support and finding out months or years down the road that the child he is supporting is not his biological child. The question then is, “What do I do?” or “How can I get out of paying child support now that I know the child is not mine?”

The answer depends on several factors, some of which include when the father finds out, the case history, and the best interest of the child. The establishment of child support in Texas is a very serious legal process that can be difficult to undo, and it can only be undone by going back to Court. Judges in the State of Texas take the establishment and ordering of child support very seriously. In order to avoid finding yourself in such a situation, it is important to address any questions you have about paternity at the beginning of the case. Failure to do so may result in you having to pay child support for a child that may not even be your biological child. In the event that you are paying child support for a child that you find out is not your own, it is important to seek the counsel of an attorney to discuss your options.

Are You in Need of an Experienced Child Support Lawyer in the Dallas, Texas Area?

If you need a caring, experienced child support lawyer please contact us online or call our Dallas office directly at 214-559-7202 to schedule a consultation. 

Gary Ashmore
Connect with me
Helping Dallas & Highland Park, Texas area families with Family Law, Probate & Estate Planning needs.