Social Media can effect your life in many ways. If you’re not careful, social media sites can be a real headache.
What can happen as a result of your social media choices?
- Lose your job or not get hired
- Lose a college scholarship or not get recruited
- Lose your legal case
- Photos posted on Facebook by your friends can be viewed by people outside your network of “friends” despite your privacy settings.
- ANYONE, including your boss, recruiter or attorney can see your tweets, even if they’re not following you.
- Courts have ordered injured plaintiffs to produce their social media pages to insurance company lawyers.
- Evidence from social media has been admitted in courts and has been used by police, investigators and media.
- Law clerks for lawyers check social media for their opponents’ pages, profiles and pictures.
Steps to take to protect yourself:
- Critically review the photos and posts on your social media sites and remove anything that you wouldn’t want the insurance company or other lawyers to see.
- Check your privacy settings and see if you can block certain people from being able to see that you are even on the site (Facebook allows this).
- Search for your name in the search field and review the information that comes up to make sure it’s acceptable. Do the same for sites like Google+ and YouTube.
- Never accept friend requests or respond to messages through social media sites from people you do not know.
While the above steps are not foolproof, they will make it less likely that your personal information ends up in the wrong hands.
Do You Need To Speak With An Experienced Family Law Lawyer In The Dallas Area?
If you need to speak to an experienced family law lawyer please contact us online or call our Dallas office directly at 214.559.7202. We help clients throughout the Dallas area with all of their family law needs and look forward to helping you.