Who Would Take Care of My Child or Children if Something Happens to Me?

There are two important estate planning pieces to have in order to protect your child/children in the event something happens to you.

1. Guardianship Provision in Your Will

If you have a minor child or children under the age of 18 it is very important that you have a guardianship provision included in your Last Will and Testament. This provision lets you name who you want as your child's/children's guardian. This particular provision is important because if you didn’t have it included in your Will, upon your death, the Court would decide who takes care of your child/children and their finances.

2. Declaration of Guardian

The second important document to have to protect your child/children is called a Declaration of Guardian. This document allows you to name the individuals who will be the guardian of your child/children in the event of your incapacity or disability. Like a guardianship provision, not having this document will result in the Court deciding who would take care of your child/children and their finances.

Protect your child/children by having these imperitive estate planning documents in place!