Yes. You need a statutory durable power of attorney and a medical power of attorney. Without these documents, you have no control over who makes decisions for you if you should become disabled or incapacitated and unable to handle your financial affairs or make your own medical decisions. The Court will step in and decide who your Guardian will be without these power of attorneys.

A Statutory Durable Power of Attorney lets you give another person the power to legally handle your affairs should you become disabled or incapacitated. You choose when this becomes effective. This Power of Attorney can take effect immediately and is not affected by your subsequent disability or incapacity OR it takes effect only upon your incapacity or disability.

For example, suppose you are seriously injured, you may not be able to pay bills or keep up with your financial obligations. A power of attorney allows a trusted family member or friend to handle financial matters and access accounts on your behalf.

A Medical Power of Attorney grants another person the legal authority to make medical decisions if you are unable to do so. This Power of Attorney ONLY becomes effective when you become disabled or incapacitated. It is a good idea to discuss your beliefs and wishes with this person so you can be sure they understand what you want.

Do You Need To Speak With An Experienced Estate Planning Lawyer In The Dallas Area?

If you need to speak to an experienced estate planning attorney please contact us online or call our Dallas office directly at 214.559.7202. We help clients throughout the Dallas area with all of their estate planning needs and look forward to helping you.

Lori Ashmore Peters
Connect with me
Helping Dallas, Park Cities, Highland Park Texas Area Families with Estate Planning, Probate & Litigation