Gary Ashmore
Connect with me
Helping Dallas & Highland Park, Texas area families with Family Law, Probate & Estate Planning needs.

There are a few different ways that grandparents can attempt to gain rights to their grandchild in Texas.


In order to see the child, grandparents must have approval from one of the parents. If both parent’s object to visitation, the grandparents can petition the court for visitation rights. The grandparent must generally prove that the parent intends to completely deny the grandparent from having possession of or access to the child. 

Conservatorship (Custody)

Generally, if a grandparent has had possession of a child for at least six months, they can file suit within 90 days for possible conservatorship (custody) for the child or children.

Temporary Orders

Another way grandparents most frequently get standing to gain access to their grandchildren is through temporary orders. Sometimes when parents have problems with drugs, alcohol, or other issues, they need to temporarily leave their child or children with their parents. In instances like this, grandparents can file for temporary orders. Then assuming the parents become stable enough to care for their child or children, custody can be given back to the parents. 

Read more about Grandparents rights with our article: How Can Grandparents Gain Custody or Visitation of their Grandchild?

Do You Need To Speak To A Grandparent's Rights Lawyer In Dallas?

If you need to speak with an experienced grandparent's rights lawyer please contact us online or call our Dallas office directly at 214.559.7202. We help clients throughout the Dallas area and look forward to helping you as well.