What If My Spouse Is Not Paying Child Support?

If your spouse is not making child support payments, you can file an enforcement action in a family law court. The enforcement action asks the court to enforce the court order that says that the spouse is supposed to be paying child support and the amount of child support they’re supposed to be paying.

For child support only, you can sometimes ask that the spouse be held in contempt of court, fined, or even put in jail. You can also file enforcement actions to enforce a spouse to move out of the house, sell a particular asset or item, or pay off a debt. You could accomplish all these actions through an enforcement action in the family courts.

For more information about child support, you can request our free report: Child Support in Texas.