Joseph E. Ashmore
List All Members | Attorneys:
- The Ashmore Law Firm, P.C.
- 3636 Maple Avenue
Dallas, Texas 75219
Joseph E. Ashmore, Jr. was admitted to the State Bar of Texas in 1963. He is a retired Probate Judge and the owner and operator of the Law Offices of Joseph E. Ashmore, Jr. P.C. He has vast experience in Probate, Ancillary Probate, Banking and Trust Law, Real Estate, Estate Planning, Guardianship, Elder Law, Mental Health Law and Civil Litigation.
Prior to opening his Law Firm, he was unanimously appointed by the Dallas County Commissioners Court to the newly created Probate Court No. 3 in June of 1975. He was the Judge of Probate Court No. 3 from June 1975 until he retired in September 1986. Probate Court No. 3 has not only probate jurisdiction, but also sole jurisdiction over the mental health cases in Dallas County. Mr. Ashmore was instrumental in making certain changes to the Mental Health Code by attending congressional hearings in Austin with regard to same.
Prior to this appointment, he began his career with Texas Bank and Trust Company in September of 1954. He worked his way through the various departments at the bank and in 1967 was appointed Vice President and head of the Legal Department.
Mr. Ashmore is on the Board of Directors for the Texas College of Probate Judges and remains active with the National College of Probate Judges. He is named as an Expert Witness on cases and serves as arbitrator and mediator.
- Southern Methodist University (J.D., 1963)
- United States Air Force (1955-58)
- Southern Methodist University (B.B.A., 1954)
Bar and Court Admissions:
- Texas, 1963
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit and 11th Circuit
- United States District Court, Northern and Southern Districts of Texas
- State Bar of Texas
- Dallas County Bar Association
- Dallas County Bar Association’s Senior Lawyer Mentor Program
- Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation – Board of Trustees of the Texas Bar Foundation
- Faculty member of the National Judicial College/National Probate Judges
- Board of Directors of the Texas College of Probate Judges
- Executive Committee Member of Friends of Reverchon, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization
- Spanish (conversational)
- Arabic (conversational)
Born: Dallas, Texas