It's wedding season! If you or a loved one are getting married this spring, we highly encourage you to consider getting a premarital agreement. Attorney Whitney Keltch explains two main reasons why you should consider a prenup.
First, having a prenup in place can help allocate assets in the event of divorce and second, it can ensure that certain debts do not become the obligation of one spouse in the event of divorce or the death.
In addition to allocating assets and handling debts, a premarital agreement can also be used for the following:
- Defining the ownership of the marital home
- Estate Planning and distribution of property after death
- Deciding which items are community property and which are separate property
- The resolution of future financial disputes
- Spousal support (alimony) obligations
- Support of existing children
- Allocation of taxes
- Protection of business interests
Having a prenup in place will help protect you, your loved ones, and your hard earned assets.
Are You Considering A Prenuptial Agreement In The Dallas, Texas Area?
If you are planning on getting married and considering a prenuptial agreement you need to speak with an experienced family law attorney as soon as possible. Contact us online or call our Dallas office directly at 214.559.7202.