In my experience as a trial attorney handling car wreck cases, I have seen a sharp increase in the number of cases I handle where the at-fault driver was using their cell phone. People may think that accidents "just happen" but think about this. If someone had a sudden front tire blow out causing them to veer into oncoming traffic and wreck, most would agree that that the driver couldn’t avoid the collision. What if the driver was looking down and texting, causing them to turn into oncoming traffic and wreck? In that situation, we can all agree the wreck was entirely avoidable.
The use of handheld cell phones by drivers, especially while texting and surfing the Internet, results in taking their eyes off the road more than any other form of distracted driving, which can have deadly consequences. Mobile phones are linked to a significant increase in distracted driving, resulting in injury and loss of life.
Statistics don’t lie.
Texting While Driving Causes:
1. 1,600,000 accidents per year – National Safety Council
2. 330,000 injuries per year – Harvard Center for Risk Analysis Study
3. 11 teen deaths EVERY DAY – Ins. Institute for Hwy Safety Fatality Facts
4. Nearly 25% of ALL car accidents
Texting While Driving Is:
1. About 6 times more likely to cause an accident than driving intoxicated
2. The same as driving after 4 beers – National Hwy Transportation Safety Admin.
3. The number one driving distraction reported by teen drivers
Texting While Driving:
1. Makes you 23 times more likely to crash – National Hwy Transportation Safety Admin.
2. Is the same as driving blind for 5 seconds at a time – VA. Tech Transportation Institute
3. Takes place by 800,000 drivers at any given time across the country
4. Slows your brake reaction speed by 18% – Human Factors & Ergonomics Society
5. Leads to a 400% increase with eyes off the road
If you or a loved one has been harmed by a distracted driver, call an experienced attorney to protect your rights.
For more information on texting and driving, visit http://www.textinganddrivingsafety.com/